Tuesday, December 13, 2016

KC's Memories

Dearest Mother and Father,
 
            I just wanted to first and foremost thank you for the multitude of experiences, love, and knowledge of this universe you have provided me; I can’t imagine having any other parents. I can honestly say that in my life I never wished for other parents, however I may have wished that my parents would have got me the latest and greatest gizmos for Christmas, but I wanted it to by my parents doing the giving. I could never in one letter express every single thing that I am grateful for, though I want you to know that I am absolutely beyond grateful for all that you have done for me and the family. I try to imagine a life without the two of you in it, and it is bleak to say the least. You are not someone that I just have to have in my life, but someone I love to have in my life as a mentor, role model, and my best friends.
            I thought I would take this time to share some of my fondest memories with the two of you, and there is a plethora of them. I could bring up the garage sale Christmas, Butte Copper Kings, or getting lost in a field north of Great Falls, but I think we have hashed those out plenty of times. My fondest memories are in the countless adventures we have embarked on together. I didn’t realize as a kid how truly lucky I was to have parents that took me to see such incredible awe inspiring sights. I can think of Lake Louise, Coronado Island, the ruins of Mesa Verde, and the skyline of Idaho Falls. It didn’t have to be in faraway locations, but just simple trips close to home. Whether it was a Saturday morning at the yard sales, searching the woods of the local golf course, or fishing on a stream up Spanish Fork Canyon I was just happy to be out experiencing the world with my parents. We were always a family on the go, seeing the world, and making sure that I was a happy kid.
            I think of one vacation in specific however that encapsulates your character, and the joy you bring into my life. It was a trip that the three of took down to south central Utah. We started by stopping at the Gunnison Cemetery and taking that moment to remember why we are here on earth, seeing where we came from, and to see where we are heading literally and figuratively. That seems to be a theme on our trips, remembering our heritage, the sacrifice of our ancestors, and learning the history of those who came before us. I have come to have a great appreciation for my family on both sides and the character they had, and the sacrifices they have made. Next we were able to go stay in a swanky lodge down in Torrey. It was stunning, and a happy place to rest your head. Most of all it was incredible to spend the time together disconnected from technology and spend that time just talking, laughing, and teasing one another with the simplicity of nature as our backdrop. I remember the next day as dad braved Hells Backbone on our way to Escalante, and the two of you being troopers as we hiked up the petrified forests of Escalante State Park. It was a simple trip, but there was no place else on earth I would have rather been than spending quality time with my parents, listening to our favorite music, and just enjoying the company and scenery. I don’t even remember dad being stressed other than maybe driving on some parts of the highway.
            I will of course never be able to repay everything that you did for me, but I hope that I will be able to take what you taught me, the love you instilled into me and pass it on to those I teach, interact with, or befriend. I can say that I know right from wrong because of you, but more importantly I can say that I strive to love everyone, show empathy for those who are the down trodden, and reach a helping hand where I can. These are the things you instilled in me; these are the things that I am proud to say are a part of who I am. I hope you know my love for you is larger than the Himalayas, and the like the Himalayas it is growing every day. I love you and hope you have an incredible Christmas.
 
Love, your favorite son,
KC

No comments:

Post a Comment